Monday, August 24, 2009

Education



Once upon a time I was a school teacher before I had my own children.  I saw and learned many things about parents, schools, teachers, etc, before I became a mom myself.  During that time, I had a friend who fired lots of questions at me about education and what I thought.  She was born and raised and still lives in the exact same area.  She knew which schools she wanted her kids to go to and she was going to make it happen.  So when they went shopping for a house, they bought the house according to the schools.  I admired her thoroughness and thought she was a great mom, and she is.  When we bought our house, my babies were 1 and I didn't think too much about elementary school.  Having taught myself, I had learned that there are smart kids in every school, no matter where you live, and there are good and bad teachers in every school, no matter where you live.  But then my babies grew up and it was time to think about school.  I started investigating.    I applied at lots of charter schools, but didn't get it.  I thought about sending them to various schools in the area and eventually we ended up at the school we were supposed to go to.  For 3 years, we had a wonderful experience.  

Well this year we switched schools.  It has been a difficult transition for the boys and I will admit it has been more difficult than I thought for me as well.  I miss the familiarity of our old school.  I know my kids do too.  I like our new school and I am happy, but it has been harder than I expected.  I had also forgotten how much of education at this age is just social.  And so then I start to wonder how much it really matters.  Just because a school has higher test scores, does it mean it will be better?  I am not second guessing my decision, I am just writing this to remind myself that I don't think it really matters.  Especially in the long run.  And then I am reminded of this quote by President Hinckley,

“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey … delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”



5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I don't remember that quote, but it's inspiring!

Change is always hard.

Our family said...

I love that quote, thanks! Sorry the school change has been tough for you. It's been great for us. Cosmo loves the new school and having friends there already has been great. I think I care too little about what schools my kids go to. I think the most important thing is the parents' involvement. That opinion will probably change in middle school.

scraphappymama said...

I didn't realize you had switched schools. Now that Brooklyn is back, I should have some down time to call and chat to catch up. I love that quote from President Hinckley - it's one of my faves!!

Dave and Kristin said...

I love that quote! It is so true!

J.J. said...

It's so true every school has bad and good teachers.
I hope it turns out to be a great year for the kids!
Awesome quote!