Monday, May 18, 2009

Home Again

Last night I tuned into my DVR and saw that Helen won the Biggest Loser, whatever!  I did NOT want Helen to win, nor did I think she would win.  She was my least favorite and I think she probably went home and smoked diet pills so that she could win.  I had already heard she won, but I still enjoyed watching for myself.  And I am glad that Chris (or is it Kris?) is in the finals for American Idol.  I know I'm in the minority, but I don't love Adam Lambert (Remember Lambert the Lamb?  Anyone?).  

After all that catching up, we finally went to bed.  The beds that we slept on in Japan may as well have been the floor.  They were soooo hard.  My bed felt like a dream last night.  By 5:00am, Kirk and I were both wide awake.  Neither one of us could go back to sleep, so we just got the day started early.  Plus I was starving!  My body is out of wack with the time difference (for example, we left Japan at 3:25pm on Sunday and got home at 12:50pm on Sunday) being so huge, I guess my appetite is still on Japan time.  

There were so many things to do today, clean the house, unpack, laundry, grocery shopping, etc.  The kids were helpful and we got most everything done before noon.  Including trips to Costco and the grocery store.  Now they are all playing and it is like we didn't even do any work this morning, the house is already a wreck!  Oh well.  It feels so good to be home.  It feels good to be in my home and to have it stocked with fresh groceries and what ever we may need.  I am hoping to plant some flowers tonight and maybe even a few vegetables for our garden.  

After being in Japan, I am so grateful for my family, my big house, my big yard, a car, my neighborhood, and just about everything.  My life is so good I should never complain again.  My house and yard are very average for Utah standards (maybe even below average), but they feel huge to me today.  And they are totally sufficient.

While we were in Japan we toured Kyoto.  Kyoto was the old capitol of Japan and the home to lots of neat things.  I realize these pictures are in no particular order, sorry.
Tallest temple in Kyoto.

Before entering the temples, you had to remove your shoes.

I only rode in 2 taxis while in Japan, but they both had lacy white seat covers.  And the back seat was always covered as well.  In Japan they drive on the left side of the road.  And the steering wheel is on the right of the car. 

Lots of the temples had places to leave money and some even had a bell to ring as you left your money and said a prayer to Budda.

At lots of the temples and shrines that we visited, they had a little area for cleansing.


 Getting ready to board the Shinkonsen (bullet train) for Kyoto.

Kirk baptized this sister while he was on his mission.  She and her husband took us out to dinner.  I am sure it was really expensive, and I know they tried hard to order things they thought I would like, and they did great except for the fish egg jello stuff that had crab and shrimp in it, disgusting!
 
The view of Nagoya from our hotel.  We were on the 45th floor.  That large building in the middle of all the green is called the Nagoya Castle

Our hotel in Tokyo

Kirk and 2 of his companions from his mission.  Both of them now work for the church in Tokyo and both are them are neat men.

Being in Japan was great.  They are very respectful people.  All of the men wear dark suits, white shirts, and ties.  Literally.  And everybody that is employed, wears some kind of uniform.  So do all of the school children.  When we landed in Portland and this guy with a beard and tattoos started unloading our luggage, I realized how scruffy and gross he looked.  In Japan, everyone looks so nice.  They are beautiful people.  

Goji is the name of the sister that Kirk baptized and that toured Kyoto with us.  She is an amazing lady.  Her children are my age or older, but she keeps young by golfing, traveling, playing tennis, and doing all kinds of things.  She is busy and has lots of hobbies.  And then she asks what I do.  I love being a mom and I realize that it leaves me no time for hobbies, but after being around Goji, I am anxious to do a few things.  I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class and a cooking class.  And I am going to do it this year.  I have heard there are some good cooking classes at Thanksgiving Point.  If you know of any, please let me know.  As for cake decorating, I am hoping to find one at Michaels or one of those stores.  Wish me luck!  I realize that gives me more than 6 months to get going on these 2 things, but I will need all of that time to get to it.  

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

When I was in high school, we used to have a lot of Japanese exchange students live with us. I like a lot of the food, but I HATE seaweed, and they would put it on everything!

Glad you had a great time!

rachel said...

You got some amazing pics, Lara! And I love your umbrella :) It sounds like an amazing country especially with how the people look and dress and the white seat covers in the cabs! I can't believe that...the cabs in NYC could take a lesson :) Glad you're home! Hey you should bring your squid crackers home and "share" at the next book club...ewww

Lisa said...

What an awesome experience! And thanks for sharing it with us!!!
BTW, I've been wanting to take a cake decorating class for so long. I wish we lived closer and could go together!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

man what a cool experience. Seems like you had a good time, despite the squid crackers! :-) Paul has been there before and would love to go back so I am sure I might end up there one day!

J.J. said...

Looks like you had such a wonderful time, and visited many places. I'm glad you are back it seems like you have been gone a long time!

Trisha said...

I did not want Helen to win either, but nobody asked me. :(
I recall "Lambert the Sheepish Lion" song if that is what you are referring to.
Do you get the Community Ed. booklets (Jordan School District, I think)? I think they have a cake decorating class and other cooking classes. I have taken a couple of classes through them that have been good. I believe Orson Gygi also offers classes.