Thursday, May 14, 2009

Tokyo, Hello Kitty, and a Miracle

This was Tokyo last night after dinner. It is too bad that man in my picture is not wearing a mask. Most of the people here wear a little mask over their mouth and nose. They passed out masks as we excited the airplane. I have not worn mine yet.

Kirk and I after dinner. I survived sushi in Japan. We ate with some of his companions, they wanted to take us out for sushi. Now I quite like a little sushi back in the USA, but I was hoping to avoid it all together here. I tried the eel, because it was cooked, and looked good, but it was super fishy. I might have swallowed a few things whole in order to get them down. I finally found a cucumber roll and stuck with that. I ate some shrimp as well. The sushi back home is waaay better!
These pictures are taken from Hello Kitty Heaven! Imagine a Dillards clear full of Hello Kitty. This store was amazing. It really made me wish I had a little girl to shop for. I loved this kind of stuff when I was a kid. They had some really cute pajamas that I was tempted to buy, but I am too tall for Japan sizes. I thought the microwave was kind of funny. Who would ever think of a Hello Kitty microwave?
Well, the trip is going good. We head to Nagoya today and later spend a day in Kyoto. It is supposed to be beautiful. I did not bring my hair dryer and I really wish I would have. Put your dryer on the lowest setting, divide that in half, and you have a Japanese hair dryer. It took me a long time to dry my hair. We are staying at a Marriott in Nagoya. I hope they have a real hair dryer.

4 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

How fun. I have always wondered what the sushi would be like over there...I love it over here but the reason its probably way better over here is I think it's Americanized.

rachel said...

What an amazing experience Lara! A hello kitty microwave? I think I may have seen everything now :)

Amanda said...

Wasn't there a line out the door at the Hello Kitty store at the mall the last time we were there? Maybe it is catching on in the US. I am glad that you are having a good time (aside from the blow dryer). We leave tomorrow. I am so excited for some much needed R&R!! See you when we get back. We'll need to go to lunch and catch up on all of our talking. I miss talking to you.

Trisha said...

As for the hair dryer issue, I was going to tell you that I think that the picture you posted of you and Kirk after dinner is a great picture. I epecially think your hair looks great.