Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Big Weddings


My husband and I are both from a small town and had a wedding typical of that town.  We got married in the temple, had a dinner at a cultural hall, and a reception later that night at a reception center.  It was good.  I have seen people who buy magazines and start planning their wedding way before they even find who they are going to marry.  They know where they want to get married, where they want to eat, what kinds of flowers they want, if they are or are not going to have receptions, etc.  Looking back, I used to feel bad that when I got married I didn't really care too much about the flowers or my dress.  Whatever someone suggested was fine with me.  And I felt bad because I thought maybe I should have put more thought into it, or wondered why I didn't think of everything.  

Years later, my husband and I were visiting with some friends.  Because of geographical differences between the two families, this couple simply went to the temple and got married.  Since hearing their story, it has really stuck with me.  It sounded so wonderful, just going to the temple and getting sealed, isn't that what it is all about anyways?  I am beginning to think so.  I vividly remember the day my husband and I decided to get married.  I went to bed so giddy that night, I was so excited.  About a week later, he got a ring and proposed.  It was so fun and exciting.  And all I wanted to do was get married.  As soon as I knew he was the one for me, I was ready.  The last thing I wanted to do was be engaged for months while wedding plans unfolded.  I really didn't care too much.

Ten years (almost 11) and four kids later, I realize the wedding part was so insignificant.  I actually realized this less than a year after we were married.  We saw lots of weddings of friends and families.  Just because you have a HUGE romantic wedding that cost someone a gazillion dollars does not mean that you are more loved, are more in love, or will have a better marriage.  Although sometimes it seems that way, I have been to a few spectacular wedding parties.  

If I could go back and do it all again, my wedding would probably be just the same.  Knowing what I know now, if I could do it again, I wouldn't be engaged.  After deciding to marry my husband, we would make plans and get sealed.  Of course I would want family to be there, but beyond that, I don't really know what else matters.  Maybe I will feel differently when my own children get married some day.  And that is exactly why I wrote this dumb post in the first place.  And also because I went to a class at Education Week about marriage and it got me thinking.  


1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

We got married in the SLC temple, walked a few blocks down mainstreet to a restaurant, had a lunch, and that was it. I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was perfect and there were only about 65 people there.