Monday, November 2, 2009

Last Sunday



Last Sunday in London, we went to the Hyde Park Ward for church and it was a neat experience.  I love visiting different wards.  It is amazing how different the world is and how the church is the same where ever you go.  The people were so friendly and we were greeted by several members.  It was a sweet ward and a very diverse ward, which wasn't too surprising.  After being in London for just a few hours, you get an idea for just how diverse the city itself really is.  There were lots of Americans and lots of missionaries.  It was fast and testimony meeting, so it was neat to hear from a variety of members.

The church building is next door and right across the street from several museums, so we slipped back into the V & A and had lunch in their cafeteria.  I thought is was so pretty and such a fun idea to have a cafeteria/deli in a museum.



Then we headed over to the London Tower.  It is an old fortress.  At one time it even had a mote.  It had an amazing display of armour from King Henry VIII and it is also where they keep the crown jewels, which were out of this world!  I can't believe England still has a monarchy and carries out coronation ceremonies and crowns royalties.  It is both fascinating and weird.

The London Bridge in the background, just outside of the Tower of London.


We did a tour of the tower with a Beefeater (that is the tour guy dressed is red and blue and no one knows why they are called Beefeaters, but they are).  It is an elite status to be a Beefeater, this guy actually lives in the tower.

The view as we entered from the outside.

The view as we came up from the tube.
We did get a chance to ride a double decker bus, too.  It was a lot of fun, they are all over in London.

He was guarding the building that housed the crown jewels.  I expected to see this type of guard while we were at Buckingham Palace, but we didn't.  Are they normally there, anyone know? 

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I too love going to church in different places. It's so cool to see the differences, and yet, it's still the same.

Sam and Josh said...

What an awesome trip. Looks like you had so much fun. I would love to go someday.

Dave and Kristin said...

I love seeing all your pictures! That is so cool you get to travel with Kirk. I hope someday I can go there, it is so beautiful!

J.J. said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a wonderful time, Lara. That is so nice that you can go travel with Kirk and see all of these amazing places, your so lucky to be able to do that. It's been fun seeing your pictures.

Lisa said...

LOVE, LOVE your outfit. Just had to sneak that in...