Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Self Improvement

I'm not very dramatic and I'm not a very good friend.  I have thought about these 2 things the past little while.  Last night my sister called and when I got off the phone, my husband was laughing at me because I had been so mean.  The terrible part is I didn't even realize it.  But I was mean.  I asked him what I said that was so bad and he continued to make fun of me.  Then he said, "Haven't you ever read that book, Men Are From Mars and Women Are From Venus'?"  

"No."  I haven't read that book.  I probably should.  Have you read it?  Is it good?   

"Women don't like you to solve their problems, they just like to talk about them," says my husband.  Anyway, I didn't know that, but I can see how it might be true.  All I can think of at this point is thank goodness for 4 boys and not 4 girls.  I am afraid I would not be a patient mother of girls.  Actually I am not really a patient mother of boys either.   

My lack of dramatics has also led me to believe I am not a very good friend.  I am not a good liar.  If your hair looks bad, I can't look at you and tell you how cute it is.  I just don't feel comfortable.  And at the same time, I think lots of good things about people that go unsaid.  I need to take time to say those things to people, but honestly, sometimes I just forget.  Of course no one wants a dishonest friend, but don't we all have friends who make us feel so good about ourselves by telling us how cute our hair is even when it isn't?  I know some days I really appreciate those friends.  

I have got a lot of work to do and apparently some books to read as well.  This morning my husband set one out for me.  I wonder if that is a hint.  It is called The Tipping Point.  All this reflection also caused me to be grateful for the friends that I do have, who put up with me.  Especially my sister and good friend Nicole.  My sister is family, she can't ignore me and sometimes I feel so bad about what Nicole had to go through living with me in college.  I am glad she is still my friend:)  The end. 

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You're describing me exactly. Boy, we'd get along so well!

Kaits said...

You're a great sister (the best) and I love and appreciate you so much! Thanks for always being there for me :) Love you!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

haha funny. I just watched a movie the other night called the invention of lying..pretty interesting.

scraphappymama said...

You are a great friend and I would never trade all those sleepless nights in college. Hey, they were some of the best times of my life. Aaron told me the other day, that he thinks it would have been fun to know me in the "Lara days." I guess I was more carefree then!?!! Miss you, I need to call you, but I have been a terrible friend lately :(