Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Another Good Weekend


Kirk and I went camping this weekend.  I actually quite enjoy camping, minus dirt.  I have always hated dirt and dust.  I am sure dust makes me claustrophobic, my throat closes up and I just want to run away.  Growing up we did two kinds of camping, the Sand Dunes (in a campground with running water, bathrooms, and showers) and Lake Powell.  I loved them both!  There is nothing better than cards, Easter Eggs, seven layer dip, and four wheelers at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes.  That little camp ground holds some of the best memories for me and I am sure for most of my family as well.  I was always able to manage the camping because it could end with a long hot shower, it was no problem.  And the sand was beautiful!  The good thing about sand is that is doesn't cause a lot of dust either.  Lake Powell was the other place we used to camp.  After finally arriving there, we had to wait for my Dad to scout out the perfect beach.  Any old beach spot was never good enough, if he kept looking, he could always find one better.  He would scout out every possible option and then we would settle on the best spot.  Camping at Lake Powell was always more work because running water and bathrooms were not close by.  Now that I have my own family and have done my own Lake Powell trips, I marvel at the work and effort my parents had to put in to create such good times for us.  We always took 2 vehicles, sometimes a four wheeler, a pedal boat, and everything else you would need for camping.  Keep in mind they had 7 kids and we never went alone.  Lots of times I had a friend, families with boats and families without boats would join us as well.  My dad had built special equipment just to get everything loaded in the truck.  We always had the best time.  We got pulled behind the boat, fished, played in the sand, jumped off of cliffs, and explored.  You couldn't ask for a better vacation.  I hope my kids have such fond memories of their family vacations.  There were a few times we stayed in a hotel, but honestly, my better memories were the times we were camping.  Even as I type that I feel bad.  It is true and I don't know if I have it in me to camp with the whole family.  Their Lake Powell memories might all be hotel related, but I hope they are just as good.  

From our beach, just as the water started to get good.

Last weekend we went to Lake Powell sans children.  In an effort to recreate the good times, we camped with my brother and his wife.  The camping did not disappoint.  The scenery is amazing of course and so is the calmness and beauty of the lake.  We took the boat out in the evening and took advantage of the good water.  Then we stayed out in the moonlight and showered.  Going out each night to "lather up" is another of my favorite Lake Powell memories.  Afterwards we made our way back to the beach in the dark and started grilling our dinner.  Parker and Chelsey made the best chicken and steak kabobs ever!  I felt bad they brought so much food for only the 4 of us, and then we actually ate it all, it was so yummy!
The view from my tent when I got up.

By the time the sun started coming up, our air mattress was just about flat, and I was ready to get out of bed.  My brother takes amazing photos and I am still waiting for him to email some of the ones he took that morning, they are great, but until then, you will have to look at mine and imagine them as being better.  
Good morning lake!

You may remember me blogging about getting a boat and saying how I don't really care to be pulled behind the boat no matter what the apparatus is.  Well, I finally gave in and tried wake boarding.  And I actually liked it.  But then I couldn't do the surfing thing this time.  I don't understand how people are able to get good at water sports when they don't get to do them very much.  I will never appear athletic or capable at anything when I am behind a boat because I am not, but I do LOVE riding on the boat, swimming, and jumping off of little cliffs.  And I love Lake Powell.  We had a great time!

I only post pictures of myself and my big legs as proof that I actually did it.

Kirk is still a good surfer, I might not ever be a surfer.

Thanks to my little brother, Kirk got some great wake boarding tips and improved a lot this last trip.

All this writing about memories and good vacations got me thinking about an article that I read on a blog awhile back.  Here is a link if you are curious.  It is about how money can buy you happiness if you spend it right, like on vacations or experiences.  I find it to be very true!

4 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

awww man how fun! I miss Lake Powell...I have only been there once and it was with your fam. I remember cliff jumping with Mike and Parker. Murphy would swim around with us too it was fun!

Our family said...

Oh, you make me ache for a Powell vacation. I wish we didn't have to tow a boat 6 hours to get that kind of trip. I'm kind of terrified of towing a boat and I don't know that my heart can handle the stress that long.

Parker & Chelsey DeMille said...

your post inspired me to get on it and do one before life got too crazy. thanks again for such a fun trip! I'm sure it was different than years past but I hope it was more of a good change than an Obama-change :) p.s. your parents about when into shock when I told them you wakeboarded...well, not shock, but something close :) I'm glad you loved it! what do you think kirk will do if you ever out-jump him??? it could be pictionary all over again!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a blast! I never got to vacation at Lake Powell, but my hubby did a lot growing up. I hear lots of fun stories about crazy wind blowing their canoe down the beach, the boat carrying all their food capsizing on their way to the campsite, etc... okay, and lots of volleyball and fun stuff too... maybe some day we'll have to try to pull off a Lake Powell vacation for our kids!