Just before we left for home, my siblings and I, took a little visit to my grandma's home. No one has been living there for several years. My aunts have stayed there during the summers, but I had not been in the house for years and years. With both of my grandparents now gone, it was a sweet opportunity to see their home and reminisce. Knowing that my aunts stay there in the summer with their kids, I honestly expected that the house might be a lot different, but it wasn't. So much was the same as when we were kids and used to stay there. I couldn't believe it. During the weekend we talked about a few different things we remembered.
One of them was this pink stove. It plugs in and really works. When I was little and my grandma made bread, she would put a little in a pan and I got to baked it in this oven. I LOVED it! We were overjoyed when we found it in the basement. Well, mostly just Kaitlin and I were excited about it:)
We all have fond memories of these old stuffed snakes. There were two of them and we played with them over and over again. We were so excited to find them! I honestly can't believe how so many of the toys we played with as kids were still there, just as we remembered them.
Wearing them around our necks was our favorite:)
The basement contains all kinds of treasures and still houses many fruits and vegetables that my grandma canned.
In the winter, there was always a fire going in the fire place.
This is my grandma's kitchen, exactly the way I remember it as a kid. She never had a dish washer, and I do remember when she didn't have a garbage disposal either.
If there was a theme to this house, it might be purple. Isn't that carpet just the best? It has been there forever and I love that the afghan matches it perfectly.
The piano is still there and still out of tune.
When we went to grandma's house for breakfast, we would always have toast and boiled eggs. My grandma would boil the eggs and them mash them with a fork in these little bowls. She would sprinkle them with salt and pepper and we would gobble them up.
When I visualize my grandma in her home, I either picture her standing in front of the stove or sitting in the chair below. At the stove, she was usually tending to her bread, cooking, or just visiting. Just beyond this stove top is a plastic dome thing that she always had applesauce cookies in. We could always find them in there when we came to visit.
Grandma's chair when she sat down, which wasn't very often.
Grandpa's chair. It is so classic that it is covered in old towels, they seemed to fix everything. I picture my grandpa sitting here early in the morning getting his work boots on so he could go out and do his chores.
These pillows have been on the floor as long as I can remember.
When I was little, I used to find candy in this jar. I love that is matches the rest of the room, blue and purple;)
This rock/petrified wood always sat right there in the corner. I have no idea where it came from, but it was always there. My grandma used to have plastic runners on the carpet because you had to walk through the carpet to get to the kitchen, later they got rid of those.
A board game we played as kids.
Toys we played with.
This metal cup was my grandpa's and when he came in from working, he would use this to get a drink. It is amazing to me that it is still sitting in the same spot!
My grandpa always had a collection of flashlights and we found it!
Mostly these posts are for me and my family. Being here was so much fun. I realized how important it is to take care of the things that I have and make them last. Not only does it save you money in the long run, but it brings so much joy and satisfaction as well. I still can't get over how it is all still the same. The decorations, the furniture, and all of the things. My grandparents lived frugally and never had much, but they still sent their kids on missions, to college, and saved enough money to pay for care centers if they ever had to live there. I came home with a renewed sense to do a little better and want a little less. Except costco got me today, darn it! I need to stay out of there.
2 comments:
so fun to see the pictures. we should go back and get pictures of her sewing machine and the fireplace and that curtain on the rod that makes the hallway into a bedroom.
You and Carson have so many of the same memories. The whole way to the funeral he talked his memories and one of his favorites was about that little pink stove he told me how he would bake potatoes in! That is so fun. Your grandma was a really great lady. I still can't get over how they use to live in that house when it was just 2 rooms. NO bathroom, kitchen, front room... It really makes me grateful for the huge house we have!
Post a Comment