So on Tuesday, October 16th, I returned to Brasil after about 15 years. It was so exciting and so scary because it had been so long. I was traveling with my parents and husband, me being the only one who knew portuguese, a language I hadn't used since my mission. And I was speaking in church, as well as my parents and husband, and I was going to be the translator. Plus I was preparing to leave my kids and home for nearly 2 weeks. Just the preparation of leaving for 2 weeks is enough to kill me, but add the talks for church, worry about the language, the unknown of how Brasil would be after 15 years, and all the other getting ready stuff, and seriously I barely made it. I woke up Sunday with the worst pain in my neck and it only got worse, on Monday I sought out some help, knowing that as soon as I made it to the airport and there was nothing more to be down, it would probably go away. And it did!
At the airport in Salt Lake, we met up with 2 missionaries who were traveling to Brasil as well. They arrived on their own and by the time we got to Atlanta, there were about 10 of them who were all reporting to the MTC in Sao Paulo. It scared me to think that if any of my boys get called to Brasil, I will just say goodbye, and drop them off at the airport by themselves! Scary! Anyway, it was comforting to fly with missionaries. We had a 3 hour lay over in Sao Paulo until our next flight to Florianopolis. We barely made it to the right gate. The airport in Sao Paulo was a disaster! So after hours and hours of traveling, we finally arrived in Florianopolis!!!
It was fun to walk off of the plane, just like I had as a missionary 15 years earlier. And it was beautiful. And it had changed! After picking up our car, we headed to my first area because it was close to the airport. I couldn't even find the house where I used to live. And on our way out, we passed a new church, I'm assuming that is where the members of my old area go to church now.
One thing that amazed me about returning to my mission was realizing just how much my mission has in fact changed and shaped me. The obvious assumption is that your testimony grows and you become more independent and confident. And while my mission did do all of that for me, it surprised me how much of who I am made more sense during this trip. I truly loved those people and that country as a young missionary all those years ago. And I feel exactly the same way.
So back to Campeche, while I couldn't find anything familiar, except the beach, those sandy streets hold such a special place in my heart. It was walking through the sand to an appointment where the spirit touched me and I realized my greatest calling on this earth was that of mother. I don't know why it happened there or even on my mission for that matter, but I knew that was what I needed to be and it was so powerful, I have never ever doubted it. I had always wanted to be a mother, this wasn't a new revelation, but it was such a spiritual confirmation of what a special job it is to be a mother. And I have never wanted another job. With all the changes in the world and opportunities available to women, I have never needed a career to be fulfilled or felt like the extra money was worth it. My job is to be a mom and I love it!
We stayed in Florianopolis every other night for 3 nights while we traveled around Brasil. It was such a busy trip, but one of the best! With the ocean and sand all around, I realized why I love Hawaii so much and daydream about living there! I did live on an island for months and listened to the ocean everyday. No wonder I feel like I'm coming home when I go to Hawaii.
At the airport in Salt Lake, we met up with 2 missionaries who were traveling to Brasil as well. They arrived on their own and by the time we got to Atlanta, there were about 10 of them who were all reporting to the MTC in Sao Paulo. It scared me to think that if any of my boys get called to Brasil, I will just say goodbye, and drop them off at the airport by themselves! Scary! Anyway, it was comforting to fly with missionaries. We had a 3 hour lay over in Sao Paulo until our next flight to Florianopolis. We barely made it to the right gate. The airport in Sao Paulo was a disaster! So after hours and hours of traveling, we finally arrived in Florianopolis!!!
It was fun to walk off of the plane, just like I had as a missionary 15 years earlier. And it was beautiful. And it had changed! After picking up our car, we headed to my first area because it was close to the airport. I couldn't even find the house where I used to live. And on our way out, we passed a new church, I'm assuming that is where the members of my old area go to church now.
One thing that amazed me about returning to my mission was realizing just how much my mission has in fact changed and shaped me. The obvious assumption is that your testimony grows and you become more independent and confident. And while my mission did do all of that for me, it surprised me how much of who I am made more sense during this trip. I truly loved those people and that country as a young missionary all those years ago. And I feel exactly the same way.
So back to Campeche, while I couldn't find anything familiar, except the beach, those sandy streets hold such a special place in my heart. It was walking through the sand to an appointment where the spirit touched me and I realized my greatest calling on this earth was that of mother. I don't know why it happened there or even on my mission for that matter, but I knew that was what I needed to be and it was so powerful, I have never ever doubted it. I had always wanted to be a mother, this wasn't a new revelation, but it was such a spiritual confirmation of what a special job it is to be a mother. And I have never wanted another job. With all the changes in the world and opportunities available to women, I have never needed a career to be fulfilled or felt like the extra money was worth it. My job is to be a mom and I love it!
We stayed in Florianopolis every other night for 3 nights while we traveled around Brasil. It was such a busy trip, but one of the best! With the ocean and sand all around, I realized why I love Hawaii so much and daydream about living there! I did live on an island for months and listened to the ocean everyday. No wonder I feel like I'm coming home when I go to Hawaii.



No comments:
Post a Comment