Monday, September 29, 2008

Deep Thoughts


This weekend I had the pleasure of reuniting with a missionary companion (Sister Freire). When my mission ended, I never imagined I would ever see any of the people I met and grew to love in Brazil. It was fun to reminisce. We talked about the day we ate cow tongue for lunch (I didn't realize until afterwards what I had eaten and then I was seriously sick). We laughed about how we had developed little signals so she could prevent me from ever eating various parts of a chicken. We talked about how we taught Maria and what a tough cookie she was. We spent lots of hours helping out this elderly lady who cared for her fatherless grandchildren. I love Maria so much. I can't wait to see her in the next life. We talked about the beach, the rain, the members, and the companions (we were in a three some for awhile, during which time I slept in a bunk bed sort of thing that was positioned above our closet). She remembered all the times I "tried" to cook different things. They were all attempts to eat something familiar. I forgot I used to like to cook even back then. She spoke to me in Portuguese and I responded in English. We bought some guarana. If you haven't had guarana, it is a brazilian soda and it is good. She reminded me how much I hated tracting, I much preferred other methods of finding people. And we talked about how the church is different here than it is in Brazil. She was born and raised in Brazil and has lived in Idaho for the past 7 years. And this difference has got me thinking...

I teach a Sunday School class of 17 and 18 year olds. It is great because we teach them out of the same manual as gospel doctrine. I love the Book of Mormon a LOT. And I love my calling because of the opportunity it provides me for more in depth study. Recently we have talked about the "pride cycle". We are warned about this all through the BOM. And I think the difference in the church here and the church in Brazil has a lot to do with this. Whether I like it or not, so much of my life and the lives of my children depends on what they wear, what we drive, how many times we go to Disneyland, what kinds of recreational vehicles we have, which neighborhood we live in, how much money people think we have, what school my kids go to, etc... And whether you like it or not, these things really do matter and make a difference.

One time my companion, (Sister Pereira) asked me, "Why were you born in the United States (where life is so easy) and why was I born in Brazil (where I had to drop out of school to work and help out the family financially)? What do you say? Heavenly Father loves us both the same. I know that. I just always thought how lucky I am that I was born in the United States. And just like it says in D&C, "where much is given, much is required.." So I always try my best to serve. But lately (after re-studying about the the Nephites being destroyed, etc) I am beginning to wonder if she is the lucky one. She is so humble and pure. And although life seems like it would be hard in Brazil, it is so simple! She is in more of a "survival" mode. Members there rely on the Lord and the church for everything! It is their life. And while most members here claim the same thing, our lives EASILY get in the way of the church. Our pride gets in the way of fellow shipping, extra curricular activities take away from youth activities, practices and events occupy all of our time. And it seems as if you let something go, you are a failure. And I am sure we all know someone in our wards who is looked "down" upon for not "fitting in" whether it is their appearance or their lack of keeping up. And most of the time we do nothing about it. I want to try and do better. I want to strip myself of worldliness and pride. I am thankful for the temple that levels the playing ground and look forward to the next life when all will be perfect!

3 comments:

rachel said...

Beautiful words Lara! It is so true. I often wonder if we are really the lucky ones as well. Now with the 2nd temple coming up in our town I know we are going to be held to an even higher standard. What so many millions of people would do for that privilege and it is just second nature to us now. I really feel a sense of urgency to do more, go further and always outside my comfort zone. Anyway, such a nice reminder. Also, my last calling was teaching the 17-18 year olds. Best calling I've ever had- I love the teenagers!

J.J. said...

I really like what you posted Lara, and it is all so true. I have even notice the difference in how the church is in other states, I hope too that I can be better in fellowshipping others, I think I get caught into the daily things of life and forget what really is important. You have always been such a good person to welcome people and make them feel comfortable, so thank you for your example!!
So fun that you were able to spend time with one of your companions.

Lisa said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! I've thought the exact same things and try to keep it in mind - but it gets hard. I truly believe that is one of the challenges we have in being so blessed with all of our needs and wants being met so easily - and sometimes I think it's harder that way. It's such an isidious thing, that it becomes more scary of a test than other things. I'm rambling and don't know if I even make sense... but anyway, I totally get what you're saying!