Friday, October 3, 2008

I Have a Confession....

We have some really great friends and neighbors, and I mean really great! We love our neighbors and cherish the friendships we have with them. Recently some very dear friends of ours invited us to a football game. My husband knows just about everything about every sport. He is a HUGE fan of most sports. He loves them! So he would NEVER pass up the opportunity to attend such a great event as the one our friends invited us to. I was certainly up for it as well. I love football games. I love the weather, I love the energy in the air, I just love it! I might mention here that the only football games I have ever attended were the ones in high school, I grew up going to BYU football games, and then I went to the games as a student. This game was at the "U". My husband finished up his degree there after we were married. So he is a fan. And also a fan of BYU if you ask him, but he might just being saying that because of who he married, I am not quite sure. I am NOT a sports fan. I have never really cared that much. I played volleyball in high school once, but I could just never get into it. So I don't really claim to be much of a fan of anything.

I had never been to a game at the U. Their stadium is very nice. I had heard so many horrible things about the crowds that I had pretty low expectations, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The people seemed like any other normal fans and so did the students. There was definitely more language, cleavage, and alcohol than BYU, but it's the U, that is what I expected. But I couldn't really cheer for the U. It was like going against everything in me. I found myself secretly wishing the other team would win. I couldn't believe it! I am not really a football fan. I have never really cared until now. I can fully declare myself a BYU fan! (with every fiber of my being, I have a testimony of it:)) I have never had these kinds of feelings for any athletic team ever! I REALLY love BYU football now. I always thought that I didn't care, but now I know differently. I know there are some U fans out there that might be reading this. I hope we are still friends :) Even though I am becoming a true blue BYU fan. I bleed blue! And I still love our friends who shared this experience with us.

3 comments:

Our family said...

I love BYU football too! It is so frustrating to me to see big groups of men at games. Where are their wives? Don't they know how fun it is?

We watched the U game last night and even though I knew it was in the Y's best interest for the U to win, I had a really hard time cheering for them.

And by the way, if you ever want to come over and watch one of the away games for the Y, our house is open to all Cougar fans!

J.J. said...

I love going to the games there is always so much energy and excitement! I usually go with Rick to some of the games, instead the kids have gone in my place this year.

I grew up with Y fans and now I am married to a U fan, it can get a bit crazy.

Unknown said...

Secertly cheering for the other team?
I'm glad we could help you find your true fan identity. The sooner we can find out who we are, the better. You said you weren't sure if your husband reads your blog. It might be better if he doesn't with this major confession of yours. Thanks for the fun, we had a great time.