Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just Observing

Today we went to visit my grandma.  She lives in an area where the majority of the population is closer to her age than mine.  We used to live there.  We lived with my grandma for awhile and then we lived in a little house just around the corner from her.  Whenever we visit, we like to drive past that "white house" where we used to live.  Today was no exception.  As we drove past, Ethan said, "Wow, that is little."  I loved living there and we have great memories.  

I also love living where I am now.  I love that my kids can go out to play basketball at my house or that neighbors, or that neighbors.  And the kids just gather in the street, someone's yard, or a driveway.  They all have lots of great friends.  Everyone has lots of kids, we are surrounded by families and it is wonderful.  

Having four growing boys means that I occasionally shop at Costco.  And I usually have at least one of my boys, if not all four, with me when I go.  As we look at all the fantastic things there are to buy and sample the yummy food, I notice that everyone around me has a couple of kids in their baskets or hanging on the side.  No one ever says things like, "Wow!  Four boys!"  or "Are they all yours?" or "What cute kids you have."  And that is fine with me, I would rather not attract any attention.  But I have found my experience to be very different at other Costcos.

During Christmas I was shopping at a different one.  Tyler was asleep in the basket.  There were a couple of people (complete strangers) who would stop and say things like, "I can't believe he is sleeping!" or "What a sweet little thing."  My sister was with me that particular day and while I was waiting for our cheese pizza, I returned to find another stranger talking to her about Tyler.  This is the exact same Tyler who accompanies me all the time to my "regular" Costco.  And no one ever says anything about him there.    

Just today I had all four boys with me.  We were at my grandma's Costco.  As Ethan snuck away to gather another sample, I looked up to see an older gentleman discussing BYU with him (because he wears his BYU hoodie wherever he goes).  And then he later comments to me.  A sales associate kept asking about them and their ages and commented how handsome they all were.  Another time a lady grabbed one of their faces and wanted to see their eyes.  "The girls are going to like that one," she says.  

Now I am not saying all of this because I think my boys need all of this reinforcement or even deserve it for that matter.  I am just saying it because I can't believe the difference.  We are a novelty as we travel a few miles to another part of the valley.  And you know what?  Sometimes it is good to know that people think your kids are pretty great.  I could get used to that.  

Another thing that I notice repeatedly about my grandma's area of the valley are the number of Subarus.  Honestly, what is so great about a Subaru?  I just don't get it.    

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's so weird! Big families in Utah are very common.

Alison said...

I totally noticed all the subarus when we lived there, too! And it is amazing how much attention my boys get in California.

Our family said...

Too funny! My grandma drives a Subaru! I thought it was weird when she got one because her group is supposed to want Buicks.