Monday, March 18, 2013

My Brazilian Home and Family

During my mission, I only had 3 areas.  The first one was rough!  It was a small branch, basically one active priesthood holder, the branch president, no one had cars or phones (communication was a nightmare), we lived the the home the church rented for church, and I was going through culture shock, and struggling with the language (my first companion was a native Brazilian, as were all the others).  Needless to say, when I got transferred out of there, it wasn't the saddest day of my mission.  I was only there for about 3 months.  My next area was on the island, a suburb of Florianopolis.  It was beautiful!  We walked down sandy roads and listened to the waves on the beach every day.  I was there for about 6 months.  It was difficult to leave that area and those people.  I was in my last area for about 6 months as well.  My first 2 areas were on the beach and my last one was inland and more mountainous.  And I fell in the love with the people there.  The church was stronger than in my previous areas and the members took great care of us.  I think I cried constantly my last 2 days in Lages.  So when the opportunity came to return, this was the one area I couldn't wait to show Kirk and my parents!

This is the home where I used to live.  When I lived there, there was a house built right in front of us.  We took the little sidewalk on the left past the front house back to ours.  The house in front has been torn down and now the little house is green!  I didn't even recognize it when we drove down the street. Everyone has gates in Brazil.  You stand at the gate and clap rather than knock or ring a doorbell.  I can't even describe how amazing and weird and wonderful it was to be back here.  It's like a little piece of my is still there.

When I lived here, the Bishop lived on the same street.  And as luck would have it, he still lives in the same house and he is the Bishop again!  We spent several hours at their home.  Their oldest son, Luran, who is 16 years old, was so excited to show us around their little home and he was especially excited and proud of their food storage.  

This is Rosie, my Brazilian mom.  I love her so much!  They took such great care of my while I was there.  She and her husband are wonderful people and full of so much joy and energy.  Their happy example is one that has stayed with me and taught me so much about life.  

Kirk is drinking a traditional Brazilian drink.  It is basically an herbal tea.  They pour hot water in the bottom and you drink it with a metal straw.  It is a communal drink.  As a missionary, I was not allowed to drink it, but now they can, so I got to try it!  Bishop talking to my dad about Brazilian barbecue.  We ate all kinds of meat (including chicken hearts), beans and rice, pinhao, potato salad (with homemade mayo), and vegetables.  It was just like I remembered!  Luran did all the dishes while we sat and visited. 

 Lages is known for these pine trees, they are beautiful.  That was as big of a car as we could get! 

On Sunday we all spoke in church, which meant I got to "speak" for everyone as I was the interpreter.  I struggled a lot, but I was amazed at how much the language did come back.  It was difficult to leave Brazil feeling like I was just getting used to the language again, and then I had to leave.  It was fun to attend my old ward, see so many familiar faces, and have them meet my husband and parents.  This picture is of Waldrigo.  He was the last baptism of my mission.  He is no longer active, the bishop called him Saturday night while we were at his house for dinner and I got to invite him to come.  He was working and said he couldn't come to church.  He did surprise us and showed up at the end.  I think he was about 14 years old when we taught him.  

This last picture is with Rosie, Ivan, Luran, their daughter Vanessa, and her fiance.  They are now married.  On Sunday morning, Vanessa showed up at our hotel on her little pink scooter.  She was in her dress and wearing a helmet.  It was sprinkling outside, but she came to help us get from our hotel to the church.  Seeing her all dressed up at 8:30 in the morning, riding her little scooter in the rain just to get to church, made my Sunday mornings seem like such a breeze.  It was a sweet thing to see.  

There was a sweet spirit at church that day, it made me cry to leave again.  I love these people so much!  Lages will always feel a little like home and have a piece of my heart.  

No comments: