Monday, April 4, 2011

Listening to General Conference is Kind of Like a New Year, Only Better

Is it just me or do you all have new goals and priorities?  I loved listening to conference this weekend and thought a lot about some changes that I can make.  The first one is kind of obvious, but I think I can do a better job at it, and that is to simply put the Lord and his work as my number one priority.  I know that if I continually put Him at the top of my list, the rest will fall into order.  I know I spend too much time worrying about things that I don't need to worry about.

Another thing I need to work on is seeking out opportunities to serve.  I am sure there are a lot of people around me that need help.  But we all try so hard to be perfect sometimes it is hard to know how to help.  I need to make more of an effort in my prayers so that I will be in tune and aware of needs around me.

There was a lot said about marriage during conference as well.  I do not have a perfect marriage, but I am so grateful for the spouse that I have and how good he is to me.  I need to be more grateful for all the goodness in my marriage.  It is hard to have him traveling so much.  I wish I was stronger and could handle it better, but I think if I focus on all the good that we have, it will help.

My last area of improvement is my family.  They are growing up so fast and there are so many things I feel like I have not done.  We read scriptures and we pray and we have family home evening, but they sleep in church and can't sit through conference without fighting and wrestling.  They are knowledgeable, but that has not yet translated into action.  I look forward to studying L. Tom Perry's talk when it comes out in the Ensign.  We have lots of improvement to be done.

And now off of the subject of conference and back to other things that have been weighing me down.  I have been working out for a couple of years.  I like going to the gym and I like breaking a sweat and mostly I like the chats with friends.  If you saw me in real life you might expect me to look better after reading that, but I also like to eat.  I made a couple of trips downtown recently and saw a billboard with a woman that says "All I want for Christmas is my two front..." with a plastic surgeon's phone number.  There was also another one that talked about "re-shaping" Utah.  And they just make me a little sick to my stomach.  Because I do go to the gym and have friends who like to work out, I am always hearing about some kind of diet or how this person only eats that and she looks amazing and so on.  And I have seen friends who question their worth because of their bodies and consider changing them.  And it all bothers me a little.  I am not going to judge anyone for what they do or don't do, but as I was contemplating all of this and conference while I was running this morning, a quote kept coming to mind from Sister Hinckley.  And what she says helps me put it all in perspective...

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley


So here is to a new year and all my resolutions!  I hope they last at least until next conference.  

2 comments:

Mike and Alleen said...

I loved that quote from Sister Hinckley!!! conference was amazing and I feel like I need the ensign in my hands RIGHT now to study. Thanks for sharing

melanie liljenquist said...

Laura,

Loved your Post. I also enjoyed Conference and also thought of all the things I should be doing. I loved your last part of your post about everyone worrying about their bodies and dieting and all that non important stuff, sometimes I find my self going that route and have to pull back and remind my self the important things in life. I also love the quote from sister Hinckley and it's a great reminder of how I hope I can live my life.

I hope your doing good.

Love ya
Melanie