We just got back from Hawaii where I had a conversation about gardenias with a friend. Since there is a 4 hour time difference, we are still adjusting and I found myself wide awake in the middle of the night and I started thinking about gardenias, which led to me thinking about my wedding.
I was 23 years old when I got married and I was just so excited and ready to be married! Once I knew Kirk was the one for me, my wedding date couldn't come fast enough. So when I had to find a dress, get a cake, pick out invitations, etc, I really didn't care that much. Mostly I just wanted December 19th to get here so that I could get married and start my new life. I was never the kind of girl that spent time day dreaming about weddings and all the hoopla that surrounds them. The day finally arrived and it was perfect! I was sealed to my husband. My favorite things about my wedding were first of all, my new husband, the veil I wore with my dress, the snow that came that night, the Christmas trees and lights, and the dishes (both everyday and Christmas!) that we received. But mostly I was just excited about my new husband, the rest didn't matter.
Since being married, we have been to all kinds of weddings. We have eaten gourmet food, seen choreographed first dances, heard lots of beautiful speeches from parents and family, witnessed grand entrances and exits, enjoyed amazing scenery, worn all kinds of colors, and we have been very happy for friends and family. I am just always a little bewildered that people spend so much time/money "planning" weddings. And sometimes I even feel bad that I didn't think to "plan" my own wedding, but I don't feel too bad. My married life has been so great! I know that any amount of decorating, dancing, speeches, and money couldn't ever enhance what I have today.
I don't really know what the point of this post is. As I wrote it, I remembered I had already written something similar here I guess spending a week with my husband and family just really makes me happy and grateful for what I have. So I guess the point is, I love my husband and family and if they were all I had, I would still be happy!
4 comments:
:D, que bien.
Awww so cute! ha ha. I am glad you had another very successful fun trip to Hawaii!
This post was exactly what I've been thinking lately! Weird. I too, didn't care too much about planning wedding stuff - I just couldn't wait to be married to my Rick and didn't want my parents spending very much. I have no regrets about that either. My cousin is planning her wedding right now (glad she won't ever read this...) and is obsessing and stressing so badly over the silliest things and complaining about how her parents should spend more on her because of this and that, etc. It's shocking to me. I tried reminding her that all that stuff doesn't really matter! It's all about being sealed for eternity to the person she loves, right? I guess society puts so much importance on all the silly but expensive wedding stuff that it's easy to get sucked in. The wonderful thing about a temple marriage is that it's all you need, really. It's an amazing thing and reminds you that family and love is what it's all about. I'm rambling. Anyway, just loved that you posted this since I've been thinking about it recently. : ) I sure love seeing you and Kirk so happy together!
That's so much like my wedding. I had gardenias floating in the centerpieces. That was actually the only thing I planned for my wedding. Everything else, I just let my mom pick, even my dress, and it was a rental. In fact, we put so little thought into it that we forgot to get a cake. And my MIL forgot to send out invitations to the open house up there so it was pretty low key. Sometimes I wish I could go back and plan it more, but I'm also glad that I was so simple and only cared about being married.
Post a Comment