Monday, November 3, 2008

Take Out Without Leaving Home

Yesterday I made Cafe Rio for dinner. There are a lot of recipes out there, so I kind of had to pick and choose. I started with raw tortillas from Costco. Have you had those? They are very good. They come flattened out just like a tortilla. All you have to do is cook them on both sides. Next time I will try a different pork recipe. And there will be a next time because it was sooo good! Part of my kids made burritos and the the others made salads. It was fun for them to pick and choose. These are the recipes that I liked, and will use again:

Black Beans (I am sure you could use whatever beans you wanted)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/3 cup tomato juice
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cilantro
Combine in a sauce pan and heat through
I used 2 cans of beans and doubled everything, but the oil. They were good.

Pico de Gallo
3 tomatoes diced
1/2 bunch cilantro minced
1/2 sweet onion minced
1 section green pepper minced
3-4 cloves of garlic minced
1/4-1/3 cup of vinegar
Combine and refrigerate

Rice (This was so good and so easy!)
3 cups water
4 tsp chicken bullion
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 can green chilies
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion
3 cups minute rice
Blend cilantro, green chilies, and onion in food processor. Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients. Remove from heat and let sit.
I actually forgot to add the butter. It tasted so good, I probably wouldn't add it the next time.

Tomatillo Dressing
1/2 jalapeno (take out seeds)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tomatillos (remove papery skins)
1/2 bunch cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk
1 packet Hidden Valley buttermilk ranch
Combine everything in the blender. Allow several hours of refrigeration before serving.

My husband even said, "We should have taken pictures," but it was Fast Sunday and we were really hungry! Do you have any good pork recipes?

3 comments:

Mike and Alleen said...

Hey the Pork I put on the Recipe blog is the best one I've tried so far and I tried a few. It is really easy to! I always use more brown sugar than the recipe calls for. Hey the sweeter the better! The Costco tortillas are the only ones I use. I'm hooked!

Lisa said...

Wow - that sounds like a lot of work! Sweet pork tacos or salad from Cafe Rio or Costa Azul are my favorite things to eat in the whole universe!!! And I had no idea about the raw tortillas - I can't wait to try them! Let me know if you find a good pork recipe...
BYW, I love the post about your mom! I didn't know she did the boutique!

Sam and Josh said...

Ok, that sounds like a lot of work, but I bet it was worth it.