Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year

In 2001, I was blessed with twin boys. My husband and I became parents. Then we did it again and again and now we are the parents of four boys. They are all fairly young and parenting up to this point has been pretty basic. You know, food, affection, love, shelter, etc.

For the past couple of weeks I have become overwhelmed with the idea of being a parent and raising children. It seems my parenting role is starting to change emphasis. It has really hit me that I am influencing and shaping little minds that will affect the future. It kind of scares me. Before their needs were so basic and now we are influencing attitudes, opinions, perspectives, outlooks, ethics, politics, etc.

It is beginning to feel like I will be placed under a microscope and all my good qualities as well as imperfections will become magnified as my children develop and eventually grow into adults. It is scary! They are the future. Talk about a powerful influence!

So it is with that thought process that I made new years resolutions this year with good intentions of keeping them. I really would like to be a better me. I really hope my children turn out to be happy, successful people. I know that I can make a difference. So here is to a new year!

4 comments:

Kaits said...

The pressures on! Ha. Just kidding! But you're right, that is a scary thought. But you'll be fine! You're a good mom!

Kristina P. said...

I hope you have an amazing 2009!

My MIL was telling me about someone she knows who did invitro and had a set of quadruplets. They decided they wanted more kids, did it again, and had another set of quadruplets, and they still want more kids!!! My uterus hurts just thinking about it!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Well if your boys keep up the greatness they have now I think you will be very happy the way that they turn out. They are incredible boys.

Amanda said...

When I first met you I marveled at all you had to do on a daily basis and how well you handled everything. You are truly an amazing mother. I think all of your boys are very lucky to have you.