Friday, February 20, 2009

The Good Old Days

No, I am not talking about the 80's or when I was a kid. I am talking about when my babies were babies.


This week we went to the Blue and Gold Banquet for my twins who will be 8 this year. Wow, this is a big year for those boys. There are lots of new things for them to participate in and work at. The banquet was nice, my kids had a great time. Upon arriving in the gym, they were greeted with hugs from another set of boy twins their age in our ward. My boys love this other set of twins. I am sure it is fun for them to have friends that are twins. I guess the only way to know what it is like to be a twin, is being a twin. So I imagine they are able to relate to each other really well.

Part of me was/is mad at the scouting program. To me it is a constant reminder that my babies are growing up. When I think of scouts, I think of a few years of fun, then becoming an eagle scout, then gone to college and on a mission. Scouting gives me a timetable reminder that my boys are going to be gone soon. And it makes me sad. I remember when they were born and how happy I was to be a mother. There wasn't anything I wanted more. And I loved taking care of those 2 babies and being home with them all day.

Ethan came right along and soon enough I was home with 3 babies. It was hard. I was so limited in what I could and couldn't do. And everyone told me to enjoy it because they grow up so fast. I really did enjoy it!

I remember feeding 3 babies. I remember all of the clean up from eating. I remember taking them places and having fun. I also remember taking them places and getting so mad because they were misbehaving. I loved it though, all of it. Everyone always said how as they grow up, you become busier, it is just different. I feel as though I am entering that stage. The stage I am in has been the best. I have had a breather. I have been able to have some freedom while they are in school and their lives are still simple. Now here comes the scouting program to make things more difficult. I know scouting is good, I just know that it is going to be a lot of work for me and I know that it is going to last for a long, long time (because I have 4 boys in a row)!

So here is to the good old days. When I stayed at home, changed diapers, and tried to survive until my husband got home. They were great times. Now is good too. It is just hard to see them change and grow up.

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I always loved going to Scouting stuff with my brother. Pinewood derbys are cool!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

oh my gosh I can't beleive how fast they have grown up...your not kidding!! I stil remember getting your christmas card saying you were pregnant with ethan and that it was a suprise but a good one! :-) So yes I do hope we can all get together for dinner to celebrate Mike and mine's birthday, I should call your mom and start planning. I officially bought my plane ticket to come home yay!

Survivor of Seven said...

It's bad enough to look back on all the baby pictures of you kids and see how quickly it went by, but it's REALLY hard to see those boys grow up. I miss those little fat legs. Now they are gangly, long legs that aren't just quite so fun to squeeze. I wish I were a cub scout leader in your ward. That would be so fun.

Our family said...

I hear ya'! I hate seeing them grow up, though I love not worrying about car seats. In the high chair and the three boys on the couch pictures, the one on the left looks a lot like Tyler. Funny, I never thought he looked much like your other boys before now.

Amanda said...

I remember you at that stage with the three little boys and I was always amazed by you and how well you handled it. You are truly an amazing woman. I agree that it is hard to watch your children grow up and it goes by fast but, it is also fun to see the positive influence that we as mothers have on their lives.

Ashley DeMille said...

Oh you make it look like it's so easy and so fun having twins! I can't believe how much Eathen looks like Madilyn in the couch picture!

J.J. said...

What adorable babies. I love the baby stage, it has it's challenges, but I love it, and it does go by so fast!!!!