Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Letter 2008

Every year we send out a Christmas card. I usually try to write a little about each one of us. I try not to brag (I hate those kinds of letters) and I try to keep it short and sweet. My reasoning for doing this has been more of a family history reason. Several years ago my mom gave all of her kids binders with old Christmas letters from each year. They are so much fun to read! And it is a kind of family history. Each year she writes a letter she saves one in a plastic page protector for us to add to our binders. I thought it was a great idea.

This year however has been a hard one for me. I like to make cards (or at least I thought I did) so that also takes a little more time. Yesterday was set aside for Christmas cards. I started out the day with a trip to Costco to pick up a few things for my mom. I had to travel a little further than normal for this Costco, so I thought, "gees, I am already this far away from home, might as well visit my grandma." I was supposed to be working on cards, but instead I ended up visiting with grandma and taking her some lunch. I made it home before the kids got home from school and finished up the dishes and did a little laundry.

The kids came home and took off to go sledding. I worked on Christmas cards. I finally got it all figured out and just finished printing my cards, when Ethan came in the door all bloody. He needed stitches for sure. So we rushed off to the doctors and ended up with 9 stitches. What a day!

So here is our Christmas letter.

We had a great 2008!

Kirk continues to golf. It is his favorite hobby. Since he actually caught some fish this year, I guess we can now say that he also enjoys fishing. He is serving in the Young Men’s and we all hope he will learn to enjoy scouting as well! Someday he hopes to buy some guns and take the boys hunting, we’ll see…

In her spare time between blogging, Lara has been running half marathons and working out with friends at unnaturally early times in the morning. Good sales, good books, and occasionally good reality TV shows, continue to sustain her until the next family vacation she is dreaming about comes around.

Jacob is the family champ at Mario Kart. When he isn’t playing video games, you can usually find him with a sword or stick. He is enjoying the 2nd grade and is showing promise with his penmanship. He is our happy-go-lucky boy!

David continues to soak up information. Earlier this year he picked out a dictionary for a special treat. He is totally related to his dad! He loves to play soccer, basketball, and board games. He is a good brother.

Ethan can usually be found with a ball. His Uncle Michael took him to a BYU football game this year and he is now our biggest fan. He loves to throw the football and shoot baskets. He also loves to read.

Tyler is our busy body (I was going to put play boy, but that didn’t sound so good). He loves to play with his brothers, his toys, and his friends. We love to have him around to give us all hugs and kisses!

We have been blessed this year and we hope you have as well.
Merry Christmas!!!
Kirk, Lara, David, Jacob, Ethan, and Tyler

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love reading Christmas letters! Seems like you have struck the perfect balance here.

Our family said...

What a great letter! It sounds like a hectic day; I'm impressed you still got a letter done.

Trisha said...

I think your letter was perfect. At least you did that much. I didn't even get that far.
Sorry to hear about Ethan and his stitches.

rachel said...

What a good idea to post your Christmas letter on your blog! I still have to figure out what I'm doing...I have one I just need to print, but I tried to make it funny and I don't know if it will work!

Lisa said...

Your letter was so perfect! I hate the braggy gaggy ones also... And dang it, I didn't do a Christmas letter this year and was just reminded by your post that my grandma likes to keep each one in a journal. Oops. I'll be hearing about that shortly I guess...
BTW, what a GREAT family photo!