Thursday, December 11, 2008

Traditions

My children are getting old enough to remember things (ie traditions). So this year with Christmas, I would really like to start some that will help make Christmas more about fun memories with family than gifts. Teaching them the meaning of Christmas is also a very important part. What do you do with your families? I just want to have something that they look forward to and remember long after the gifts.

We love hot chocolate at our house. I made this recent purchase while in Vegas. I bought each child their own special mug and spoon. I thought we could have a hot chocolate discussion at least one night the week of Christmas. I am anxious to hear all of your ideas and memories:)

5 comments:

The Jensens said...

Hey its Adam and Radelle!
This friend of mine's family has so many cool traditions! One that adam and I do, is we exchange a tree ornament that we've picked out for each other that represents the past year (or something big from teh past year). we write the year on the bottom with a felt. In the future I anticipate the kids asking (as we are setting up the tree) "mom why did dad give you this?" and be able to tell the story!
Here is the link to my friends post.http://ryanandjacky.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-traditions.html lots of cute ideas that im stealing. Another blog I read does a picnic on christmas eve, on their living room floor with cheese, sausage, etc while the dad reads the christmas story. cute and simple.

Our family said...

One that I've tried to do, but has fallen by the wayside this year, focuses on service. Each year we each get a new ornament, like a lot of families do. We have a separate tree just for those special ornaments, but the only way you can hang your ornaments is to do something nice for someone else. The kids love hanging ornaments and it convinces them to be decent to each other at least a couple times during the month.

Kristina P. said...

That William Sonoma hot chocolate is the devil. It is SOOOOO good!

rachel said...

Ours is pretty much putting up the ornaments on the tree and the memories attached to each one. Also we have a Christmas Eve program with all the extended family and have a nativity reenactment (hey CC have be Mary this year :)

PS- Isn't Kristina awesome??? I love her blog and she's she best, most loyal blog friend.
PSS- How did book club go?

Sam and Josh said...

That is a great idea. I have a lot of traditions I want to do with my kids that I used to do on Christmas Eve, but we are always so late we never get to them. We have the traditional pajamas and then we always decorated Gingerbread men.