Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Bar of Soap


It was one of those days.  One of those days where we were all an hour or two short on our sleep.  A recipe for disaster.  Ethan successfully managed to argue with everyone that day.  But then his dad came home.  We were all happy.  The boys had been out playing basketball and wanted their dad to come out and watch.  Kirk grabbed the camera and followed them out.  Later I heard Ethan.  He was yelling and screaming.  This is not uncommon when he is short on sleep and things don't go his way.  He is loud and can really loose it.  And by loose it I mean he is usually crying, yelling, veins are popping out on his neck, and he is mad!  This is what happened last night.  He was mad because he thought David had double-dribbled during his last basket which meant David won.  Ethan didn't think it should count because of the double-dribble.  Well, Kirk saw what happened and told Ethan there was no double-dribble.  He had even recorded the whole thing.  Nothing could convince Ethan otherwise though.  He had already lost it and had to carry out the destruction.  He said some pretty nasty things to his dad.  I told Kirk to get a bar of soap and wash his mouth out.  So he did.  Ethan was still irate.  He later took it out on me and so I told him to watch it, or he would get the soap again.  At this point the corners of his mouth turned up and he gave me a wicked little smile.  But he did not let up and got the soap again.  But when he smiled at me I realized something.  He had made his stance and nothing we said or did was going to change that.  He would continue to think whatever he wanted regardless.  It reminded me of someone.  I may or may not have been like this as a kid.   

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I can taste the bar of soap now!

Our family said...

I love hearing that other people's kids do this! We use cayenne pepper on the tongue. If their mouths hurt our ears, their mouths get hurt. Sometimes we use paprika and the fear of it is enough to makes them think their tongues are burning.